Today was moving day. Yay for moving day! Woke up with Jeremiah pounding on my window ‘cause I overslept (again). But he was on time and ready for moving day. It took the morning to load everything on the truck. It wasn’t too bad because we were only moving the essentials. Beds, sofa, table, dresser, some chairs, ect. By 1pm we had pretty much everything loaded on the truck, all except … the piano.
Now my mom was planning on hiring professional help to move the piano, just like how it was delivered to our place. Since it is heavy and fragile, hiring professional help is probably the right call, however, as we were all standing there in the all but empty living room we looked at one another and thought, hmm… we have room in the u-haul, there’s 3 of us, yes looks very heavy… but exactly how heavy is it? So we gave it a try. We said that if we can hold the piano up for 5-10 seconds at a time, then we can probably do it. I think we held it up for 1.3 seconds at best. Then we thought, if we can just get it on the truck then it’s all good. It’ll be like half way done. So, being strong manly man, we decided to back up the truck so the ramp ended directly right in front of the door. And we move that piano like no other.
The piano looked heavy and weights even heavier. We really shouldn’t be messing with it, let along trying to move it. But we did, and it’s now on the u-haul, so now we got to finish it. Jeremiah thought that once we got to our new place we’d be able to just move it right off the ramp and into the condo. To his surprise, we forgot to tell him that we live on the 3rd floor. That means we have to unload it off the truck, into the building, down the hallway, in the elevator, past the lounge area, into the condo, down the narrow delicate hallway, then into the room. Now we wish we had went with the hired professional instead trying to save a few hundred bucks.
In life, sometimes we can be too overconfident with ourselves. Our abilities, looks, and knowledge. I am guilty of this as well, most of the time I budget too little time for my days, thinking that I can accomplish this task in an hour when it actually took 2, or only leaving myself 30 minutes to get to my appointment when I know that it’ll usually take 40 minutes. Knowing damn well that this post will take me an hour to write and that I’ll miss out on sleep, while lying to myself that as long as I get 6 hours of sleep I’ll be okay because I am a genius. But the thing is… I’m not.
Yesterday (Saturday) composed of this. In office 11am, prep for appointment 1pm, drive out to appointment in Scio 2pm, appointment with the Davis 3:30, leaving Scio 5:30, dinner at home7pm, prep for bible study 7:30pm, leading bible study 8:30pm, arrive downtown for st. patty’s night 9:55pm. Then the rest is history. And today, was even busier than yesterday. Tomorrow will be Monday, the start of another crushing work week. Where is the budgeted time for rest?
I need to start taking better care of myself. Start working out so I will have more energy, sleep regularly so my days are more productive, stop feeding my body with poison, and stop watching tv.
I took a bath tonight, the first night at the new house. Wasn’t planning on taking a bath but it kinda worked out that way because I couldn’t figure out how to work the shower. The stupid thing just will not turn on. Spent 10 minutes trying to find the switch, pulling on every lever I can, and pressing every thing that can be pressed. And nothing worked. So a bath it is. And a nice bath it was. I figured if I’m going to take a bath, I might as well make it an event. With music, juice, peanut butter and jelly. It really brought back a lot of memories when I was a kid me and my brother would take baths every night. The water would be too hot at first so we had to turn on the cold water, be standing in the middle of the tub and using our hands to circulate the water so the cold water will mix in with the hot. It’s quite an awkward position… don’t know if any of you guys do it… but I did that tonight… and it felt special. The bath was just what I needed, not just because I smell like a sweaty old man from moving, but also because it slowed things down and I got to spend some time with myself. Which is what I’ve been lacking. You just can’t go on 110% everyday for weeks and not have any time for rest. ‘cause you’ll burn out, and I am burnt.
So enough is enough, and it’s time to take better care of myself. I’m excited, it should be good.
I am no genius.
2 comments:
i think i know how to get the shower to work! you should pull on the little ring under the faucet where the water comes out. its like that at our house in ptld and it took us days to figure it out. :) will see u sooN!
i figured it out! muh-haha, yea you're right. it's stupid ring thing... but now we have a different problem... no hot water till thursday 'cause we didn't know that we have to register w/ the gas company so they shut our gas. sad... so sad... and stinky.
Post a Comment