Monday, January 08, 2007

Drive.

Back in high school i used to be a pretty decent runner at the time. And by pretty decent i mean, pretty DAMN decent. I was the self-proclaim fastest asian in the state with a big gap between me and the runner up. And by no means did I accomplish this by my God given talent alone. It took that, and faith, and lots and lots of sweat. I was quite dedicated to my team and practice, as well as determined to do the very best that i can. And i did. or so i thought...

there are 2 levels of runners (joggers not included). The first level of runner runs on pure strength and physical ability, this is the foundation, the very basic of the sport. If you were to be successful at anything, you have to put in work and the sweat to put yourself in a position to be somebody. And this is the first step, it's the easy step, 'cause all it takes is a determined mind and lots of hard work. The second level however, takes so much more. It's not about the physical part because the body can only carry you so far, then the rest is all mental. Level II runners has this drive, this crazy drive. That'll kick in when all you feel is pain in your legs, and your head is dizzy from lack of blood, when your body has calmed down from the rush that carried you this far and when the finish line seems like miles away and there is no way in hell that you can keep up with the current pace of the pack. When all hope seemed lost and defeat is evitable, this is when your mind takes over your body and carries it to the next level. And that, is what separates a level II runner from a level I, or a decent runner from a great runner. And that, is what kept me from going to state with the 800 meters.

I'm not much of a guy that makes new year resolutions... mainly because i thought it was like an american thing. you know, it's not asian like. I guess it's because when in taiwan, we have 2 new years, 1st of the year and the lunar new year. And really the big celebration is the lunar new year, 'cause that when the family get together and pass out the red envelope to us (aka, it's the one day of the year that we can paid.) However, if i were to have a new year resolution, this would be it...

First, I want to have drive. I've been passive all my life for too long. the perseverance is there, but there is no drive, no fire, and lack of passion. I still don't know what my passion is, but God willing, this year, I'm gonna be driven. My engine's gonna be pushed hard even if i don't know where i'm going. 'cause a mustang is just too pretty to be kept in the neighborhood zone. it'd be a shame, it's time to head on the highway.

Second, I want to fix my lateness problem... 'cause it's getting out of hand. people expect me to be late now. if i show up on time, they actually make a big deal out of it. and i'm just tired of it, and it's not good business practice.

Third, I'm gonna take on more responsibility. Starting with the basic chores at home. I want to start contribute more, be more independent, and take on more financial responsibilities.

Four, I'm gonna quit clubbing.

Five, I'm gonna be very lenient on number four.

Six, I'm gonna be more bad ass... in a good way. like the King David way. King David was the man of men, the king of kings. Confident at heart, Bad ass to the core, and a leader of a nation. But most importantly... he's a man after the Lord's heart. And That's gonna be me.

...'cause girls likes that.

Yep yep, that sounds about right... we'll see how that goes.

on another note... finally saw the pursuit of happyness today. by myself self if i might add. (sometimes david goes to the theather by himself... just sometimes, not all the time.... really, he does have friends.) Anyways, was planning on writing something about that and Rocky B. 'cause they're both two very ... positive films. but somehow it felt like anything i wrote would be short of the feeling that i've exprience from these two movie and that no words can do justice. so thus, in lack of better words from yours truly, go and read jason ma's blog. 'cause it pretty much sums it up quite well. enjoy and go see the movies.

sad news of the day:
i don't know where my bible is...
and Seabass is no longer with us... (tear).

Seabass: gl and best to you kid. you'll be alright, and we'll always be here. that's promise, and with time you'll see.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I'm a level 1.5.

Let's go race sometime.

Anonymous said...

hey. that was a very inspiring read. i hope u get to all those resolutions. i'll try to keep you accountable on most of them. i miss u, when u gonna come down again? what are u doing this MLK wknd? me, studying! i'm gonna do well this term! can't wait for the old david i used to know get back. will call soon...

David Hwang said...

mark. i'm so out of shape right now that it's crazy. i'm having trouble playing to games of bball... it sad. but yea, let go race sometimes.