Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The story of David

Caution: the material you are about to read can be extremely hilarious. please make sure there are no chokable material in your oral region, and do not under any circumstances, try to re-enact any of the material, because you will just fail miserable in your quest to achieve my greatness. enjoy the rest of the show.

Base on a true story~

Lately, it's been brought to my attention that I have the so called "asian-accent." I don't know how I got it, granted that I am born oversea and FOB'ed my way over to the land of milk and honey. But that was ages ago. I came over here when I was 10, i know other ppl who came over in high school w/ better pronunciation than me! Worst yet, it seems like i am the only one around me that doesn't realize this accent. People have kinda mentioned it in the past, but I thought they were just joking, or maybe it's their special way of honoring my presence... and heritage. I remember ppl making a big deal about it when i first came over, but as time went on, that kinda died down, and i just assumed that I grew out of my accent. Sadly, that wasn't the case.

For example, it's been brought to my attention recently that I pronunciation my "v" like "b" so for "vi-deo" it'd be "bi-deo", "vehicle / be-hicle" You staying with me so far? apparently everyone does. This itself is not all that bad, considering that many ppl have cool accents, like a british accent or maybe a swedish one. Unfortunately, an asian accent is not exactly hip at the moment. Let's just say that when girls comment "aww, what a cute accent!" it puts me automatically in the "friend" zone. (man, there's a lot of quotations ya?) Anyways, on top of my un-hip accent, it came to my attention today ('cause it's been on my mind lately) that there's a "v" in my name! DA-BIT!!! #%^@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why didn't anyone tell me??? OMG! man, that is rough...

So today I happened to stop by the coffee house the first time *tuesdays 7:30pm west hall*. for those who don't know what that is, coffee house is not actually a house where it has coffee, it's a program put on by CRU for a chance to meet and interact w/ some exchange students. the goal is to create an opportunity for the exchange student to have verbal communication with someone from the US. thus, creating relationship in hope to spread the gospel of Chrrrrist!! Ok, enough plug about the coffee house. Anyways, so we were playing games and we were going around in a circle introducing our names. many of them are from the middle east, some japanese, and one australian kid. ( i couldn't understand a single word that came out of that kid's mouth tonight, sorry kid.) Even tho some of the foreign exchange students blend in with the locals fairly well with the way they dress and act, you can clearly tell who are from abroad by their accent, there's no hiding it. So the introductions went on. There's a Keyouko, an Amid, a Luke, follow by Hidomi,and then... "Hi my name is Da-Biddddd."............. (silence in shame) @#$%!!!!!#%@! why didn't anyone told me this before!!! AHHHHHH! They probably all thought that i was one of them. Sadly, I blend in very well at the coffee house...

To my one reader, (that be you steph. yes you. i'm talking to you right now.) don't cry for me Argentina, 'cause that just don't help me none. and don't worry about me, 'cause i beliebe that one day, God will make my accent hip and it will be cool. Until then, i'll just fill this boid in my heart with pretty sunflowers or something.

upcoming attraction: pictures from spring break 06!

p.s. I came out of retirement and started running again. yay for running!

2 comments:

Mark said...

that's awesome. sometimes i wish i had an accent - you know, just to have an accent. i was thinking of going for german or russian, just to throw off people a bit.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA. GOOD! YOU JUST REALIZED! ;)