Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I got my ass kicked by a fat guy on wheels

So me and a few friends of mine are planning to do the 10th annual Portland Bridge Paddle on the 14th. It is a cruel and painful 38-mile ride that covers 10 bridges, from Sellwood to St. Johns. And with all the free time i've seen to be collecting lately, I decided to go out on an adventure of my own today to prepare for this cruel and painful race.

My adventure only covered 2 bridges, but nonetheless, just as challenging, if not, then maybe 2/3 as challenging. Me and my bike- which is still nameless- went on a 24-mile ride from my house to Washington through the I-205 bridge, then back on the I-5 bridge. The ride started out adventurous and exciting, I was determined to kick some highway ass! Then it all started to go downhill from there. I think it was when I was going 3-miles an hour uphill on I-205 with heavy wind and traffic noise and debris when I realize that either my $200 Costco bike is piss poor or I am really out of shape to be attempting crap like this. And that's when my pride stepped in and whack me in the head, "never give up, never surrender!" Yay pride! So I kept on going and going and going... Got lost a couple of times, well, quite a few times actually. Really should map out my routes before attempting them next time...

I managed to made it all the way back to the airport from Marine Dr. Now all that stands in front of me and my long lost home is a 3-mile stretch from the airport back to my house, mainly uphill. And sadly, as if I didn't know i'm out of shape already, this is where I got my ass kicked by a fat guy. To save what dignity I have left, I have to say that this is the last stretch of my 24-mile ride, and I did pass him once... before he pass me again... uphill. To tell the truth, I was quite shocked myself. I didn't think he had any chance after I past him at somewhat reasonably fast speed. Then he proved me wrong by passing me at the very next hill. I had to give him some props, this somewhat... clearly over-weight fellow, putting the pedal to the metal and out kicking someone, who is not only in the prime time of his life, but also unfaily handsome as well. But he didn't care about all that, he just kept pounding away, going from left to right, back and forth, with visible sweat lines on his back and crack line (not on purpose...) with his regular garage sale type bike with gel padded seating... man, i'm out of shape... or is the bike?

Anyways, I never get the chance to return the favor because he turned off at the very next light, but if he didn't... oh you betcha!

No comments: