So... It's December. The month of rum balls, carol singers, red and white fuzzies, and family/friends gatherings. Also for us
This little light of mine, i'm gonna let it shine.
First of all, as I'm sure most of you are wondering, and dying to know, whether or not I have a job yet. Is David finally getting off his bum ass and making a contribution to the society, or is he still sucking his parents retirement fund dry, to the moist level of a burnt pizza crust? Well, the answer is neither. I have a part time job at this joint down the block (10min walk, had to walk to work on the first day 'cause i forgot my car keys inside the locked house. yes, i was late.), but I really wouldn't call it a contribution to the society because... it really isn't. If anything I'd call it a humbling experience. A two level drop from my 'your-highness' status. But fear not, 'tis only temporary, i'm still on the way to change the world, just taking the scenic route that's all.
And at the same time, I'm not quite sucking my parents dry because I really don't spend that much money. I know, I know, comes as a surprise, but the wild party and the credit card swiping days are over. Well, at least for now it is... (I kinda have to 'cause i don't have any form of identification... license got suspended, passport's lost, and didn't want to spend money on a new ID.) I think it's quite free and refreshing actually. Don't know why I still carry around my wallet, perhaps it's time to let that go too?
This little light of mine, i'm gonna let it shine.
Secondly, i'm still searching for that perfect job. One that'll wake me up in the morning and keep me going through out the day. And until I find that job, i'm boycotting Nike, Intel, Vierck & Rakoski CPA's, and the much beloved Target. well, maybe not target, i love them too much. But for the rest of them, Ha! Don't be expecting Nike basketball shoes from me for Christmas.
One of my friend once mentioned that life is pretty much scripted for most of us. You get born, eat, grow, sleep, poop. Next thing you're know you're passing secret notes in class, then comes first kiss, prom, (or prom then first kiss... it's okay.) and then college. Until then, you're life is on a train track. All you know is school, and after school there's more school. Occasionally you pause to make a buck or two during summer, then you're right back to studying and playing Halo. That is all we know and all that we've been told to do. And as long as you have good grades in school, you can be the world's biggest pompous ass and other mom's will still use you as the standard in comparing their kids. "Why can't you be more like David? He's so smart and he's ass is so pompous. juicy..."
But, unless you're a doctor, nobody ever told you what to do after college. Except maybe, "Why don't you study more so you can be a doctor?" To our elder generation, money is everything. It's the key to happiness, to prosperity, and a secured future. And why wouldn't they think that way? All their friends that are happy are the ones with money, not having to stress with balancing the check next month, or finding ways to pay off your kid's tuition bill. So to them, a good job equals a good life. And the best job out there right now just happens to be a doctor... of something.
But for the rest of us, we know... that not everyone is meant to be a doctor. And that money does not bring happiness, nor prosperity, and the last thing i want is a secured future. This is a post to you post graduates. Life after college, what do you do? Contrary to want most people think, I believe you have to be a bit selfish at this time. In the end, only you and God understands yourself the most. I believe deep down inside you know what you can do and what you're made out of. But to bring that inner desire out, we most find ways to tame our secular influences. Maybe you gotta stop listening to your parents, or quit your six-figure job, the one that owns your soul for 90hrs of the week. Or maybe you just gotta move away and start all over again. Whatever you do, don't spend your life waiting, now is as good of a time to start.
This little light of mine, i'm gonna let it shine.
Lastly, and on a similar note, I am currently studying for my GMAT. it kinda sucks. haven't studied anything in a while, so it's kinda hard to get back into it. But i have to... 'cause the test is in 10 days. why so soon? i don't know... i might have been a bit too optimistic on the day that i picked the date. Either way, December 12 is going to be a great day. It just happens to be the same day that i'll get my license back, which is great 'cause i'll need it to take my test. And afterwards we'll all go out and have a grand celebration. yay good times.
John Mark Comer (pastor for The Way, which is a really really awesome place that i think that you should go on Friday nights.) once said, "how you live speaks louder than what you believe." Whether you are religious or not we can all agree that there is darkness in the world. And if there is darkness, there must be light as well. And I believe that we are the light of the world. Each of us will have to make decisions that will either contribute to the darkness or to the light. To hide and be secure, or be noble and take the challenge. It's your choice. You are the light of the world.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
No comments:
Post a Comment